Red eye disease is a common name for acute bacterial or viral conjunctivitis with infectious and epidemic redness of eyes, conjunctival congestion (or bleeding), increased secretions.
Infectious routes of pediatric red eye disease:
Red-eye disease is mainly transmitted through contact. Healthy eyes will be infected if they touch anything contaminated by patient’s eye droppings or tears, such as towels, handkerchiefs, washbasins, computer keyboards, books, toys or door handles, coins, etc. They will become infected within hours or within 1-2 days. Adenovirus caused by the disease is 5 – 6 days, children are active, if not pay attention to prevention, often a child’s illness quickly spread to the whole family or the whole kindergarten.
General symptoms of pediatric red eye disease:
The patient showed sudden onset of illness, red eyes, fear of light, tears, burning sensation, foreign body sensation, secretions, when he got up in the morning, his eyes were often stuck by dry secretions and could not open. A few patients had follicles on the palpebral conjunctiva (the inner surface of the eyelid), which were half the size of rice grains and translucent bulge. When the phenomenon of redness disappeared, fine punctate cloudiness appeared on the black eyeball, and some visual acuity decreased, but it could be cured. Infants and young children have poor resistance, serious illness, crying and restlessness, often accompanied by fever all over the body, can produce a layer of gray-white submergence on the eyelid, is a false membrane, can be wiped with a cotton swab.
Nursing care of children with red eye disease:
Red-eye disease has such strong infectivity, so how to prevent its spread? How not to let your baby infected with red-eye disease? Parents must do:
1. Once a baby has red eye disease, it should be properly isolated. Don’t take him to the door, don’t go to kindergarten for the time being, and don’t go to barber shop or bathtub to avoid the spread of the disease.
2. The towels, handkerchiefs and basins used by the baby with red eye disease should be boiled and disinfected, then used after drying, and special facial washing utensils should be prepared for him.
3. Eat light food, eat more vegetables, fresh fruits, etc. to keep the stool smooth;
4. Open the affected eyes and do not cover them. Otherwise, the eye secretions can not be discharged, which will aggravate the condition.
5. Teach children to pay attention to personal hygiene at ordinary times, so as not to rub their eyes with dirty hands, cut their nails frequently, and wash their hands before and after meals. Eye droppings are often wiped with clean handkerchiefs or gauze. Washing utensils are for personal use and should not go to public places during the epidemic of red eye disease.
Warm reminder: Once suffering from red eye disease, should be timely to the hospital doctor treatment, doctors will make a bacterial or viral judgment, prescribe the right medicine, if not completely treated into chronic conjunctivitis and cause complications.