The taste of breast milk
The taste of breast milk is light and sweet. But when you put it in the refrigerator, it gets very fishy, but babies still like the smell, so it doesn’t affect their eating.
Why is breast milk sweet? This requires understanding the ingredients of milk. Breast milk consists of whey protein, lactoferrin, nucleotides, ARA (arachidonic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid), DHA, oligosaccharides, and probiotics. Every 100g of milk contains 7 g of lactose, and every 100g of milk contains 4.8 g of lactose, it can be seen that the sugar content of breast milk is higher than milk, so there is a slight sweet taste. Lactose is very important for infant brain development. A variety of oligosaccharides contained in human milk are also sources of sweetness. Therefore, the normal taste of breast milk is slightly sweet, if the phenomenon of sweetness, you need to go to the hospital to check whether the sugar metabolism is normal.
So why is it that breast milk turns fishy after it is put in the refrigerator? This is mainly because milk contains whey protein and lactoferrin, which produce a fishy smell after refrigeration. This is normal, and slightly fishy baby is also acceptable. But when heating breast milk must not use too hot water, to use warm water slowly warm, so as not to destroy the nutrition of breast milk.
It should be noted that if the milk with a bit of salty taste, then it is likely that the mammary duct inflammation, do not need to be too tense, but must be through a scientific and legitimate way to dredge the breast, otherwise once caused mastitis will affect milk secretion, will not be conducive to breast-feeding.
Formation of milk
Milk is secreted by acinar cells and discharged into the acinar cavity through a series of complex physiological processes, and then discharged from the nipple through the duct. Breast tissue consists of hundreds of acini, each containing small “sacs” that produce milk. Excretion is a complex physiological reflex activity that requires about eight hormones to participate in this physiological process, but most importantly, the anterior pituitary gland secretes prolactin and the posterior pituitary gland produces oxytocin. Prolactin can stimulate the breast to start secreting milk, oxytocin can activate the breast, so that milk flow out continuously.
How much milk secretion is related to breast size? It doesn’t matter. Breast size depends on fat and breast tissue, and the amount of milk depends on the structure of the breast, not the size of the breast. Some women have large breasts, but their mammary glands are underdeveloped, and the secretion of prolactin is low, so there is little milk. On the contrary, some breasts are very small, and their breasts are very flat, but the breasts are not less than others, the secretion of prolactin is more milk, milk is particularly rich. Therefore, the amount of milk is only related to breast duct development, and sometimes with the opening of milk, the way of feeding, but also with maternal mood, nutrition. Nutritionally balanced breast milk is guaranteed, relaxation and breast milk will naturally come.
Does menstruation reduce milk secretion? Actually not. Menstruation in lactating mothers is a normal physiological phenomenon. After the onset of menstruation, the milk is thicker than usual, containing less fat and more protein. During lactation, the changes of endocrine for some reason, the maintenance of milk secretion and reproductive organ recovery, ovarian follicle development and ovulation, menstruation, which is the functional recovery of various organs and normal performance. In general, there is no significant change in the amount and composition of milk secreted during menstruation, nor does it affect the health of the baby.
What factors affect milk secretion?
The amount of milk secretion is affected by many factors, including nutritional supplements, mental status, sleep status and health status of lactating mothers.
1. Lactating mothers get a comprehensive nutritional supplement, sufficient calories, a variety of nutrients, then the quality of milk secretion is high and the quantity is also large. If the lactation mother is deficient in nutrition, the quality of the milk will be poor.
2. The spiritual mood and psychological state of the breast-feeding mother also have certain influence, if anxiety, sadness, nervousness, restlessness, can make the milk suddenly reduce. Therefore, nursing mothers should have a pleasant living environment and keep their mental health and pleasure.
3, lactating mothers should have sufficient rest to ensure the time and quality of sleep. Excessive fatigue and lack of sleep can reduce milk secretion.
4, once the lactating mother is in poor health condition, she will get less milk if she falls ill.
5. If each breast-feeding can not be completely emptied or the daily number of breast-feeding is too small, no suction of breast milk, it will inhibit milk secretion.
6, milk secretion is related to the sucking of the baby. If lactating mother feeding time is late, the baby sucks less times, and the hospital baby room to the baby supplement sugar or milk, so the baby is often in a state of sleep when feeding, will cause the baby refused to suck or suck weak phenomenon, which leads to breast feeding failure. Therefore, mothers and children should be encouraged to stay in the same room as early as possible after childbirth; the baby wakes up hungry and feeds at any time to promote milk secretion gradually increased.
What should we do with less milk?
Many lactating mothers are always worried about the lack of milk. In fact, as long as it is not a physiological problem, it is generally enough to supply the baby. What lactating mothers need to do is to establish a good psychological state, rest adequately, pay attention to comprehensive nutrition, etc. As long as the psychological and physical conditions are well regulated, the secretion of milk is able to meet the needs of the baby. Yes. So, what are the ways to increase milk secretion?
1. Should build confidence, psychological hints to themselves, believe that they can certainly let the baby eat the best and most milk, and not because of worry and anxiety, depression, this will affect the milk secretion.
2, drink plenty of protein rich foods, such as peanuts, soymilk, milk and so on. In addition, drink more chicken soup, crucian carp soup, you can also add grass straw soup to drink, replenish good nutrition.
3. If the baby is not full after eating, then squeeze a hot towel on the R room, apply a few minutes to let the baby suck once, the experiment proved that this is very effective, apply will have milk, a day often let the baby suck, using this method, soon enough milk. When the baby does not drink, you can use a sucker to suck out excess milk, so as to increase secretion, if breast milk is not empty, it will inhibit milk secretion.
4. Massage more, so that the breast unobstructed, the baby after drinking milk wipe with a hot towel, keep clean and unobstructed.