“Not pregnant do not know, the original body can be’inflated’into this way.” Xiaoling, a pregnant mother, was particularly troubled by edema.
“I heard that the gestation period will be edema, and I am not swollen in the early and middle stages of pregnancy. The result is just a few weeks near the expected date of birth, and it will swollen all of a sudden, and the feet are also fatter. They are swollen like pig’s hoof. They can’t wear shoes. Recently, they can only wear my husband’s slippers.”
This is precisely the phenomenon of pregnancy edema, which occurs in more than 90% of expectant mothers. There are also many pregnant mothers who wonder whether the edema during pregnancy is related to drinking water or not. Should we restrict drinking water?
Late pregnancy edema mostly occurs in the lower part of the human body, such as ankle, lower leg, etc. Press the thumb on the tibia of the leg. When pressed down, if the skin is obviously depressed, it can not recover quickly. Long standing or standing for a long time can cause edema, which can disappear after rest.
Causes of edema: The plasma osmotic pressure during pregnancy is lower than that during non-pregnancy, which makes the water in blood flow easily permeate into the interstitial fluid. The water and salt in the tissues of the body are retained and the water is increased, thus causing edema. In addition, with the increase of gestational weeks, uterus enlarges in the third trimester of pregnancy, which increases pelvic pressure, thus affecting the venous blood flow of lower limbs, which is also one of the reasons for easy edema in the third trimester of pregnancy.
With the increase in the number of weeks of pregnancy, the expectant mother’s edema will become increasingly obvious. If standing for a long time or sitting still, it is more likely to cause edema.
Normally physiological edema mothers-to-be need not worry too much and need not limit their drinking capacity.
Lower extremity edema during pregnancy is caused by uterine compression or excessive salt intake, not by drinking too much water. Pregnant mothers should drink water in moderation, because drinking water can promote metabolism, relieve constipation in late pregnancy, prevent urethritis and so on.
1. Pay attention to rest. If pregnant women only have leg edema, generally do not need treatment, as long as more rest can be relieved. When you rest in bed, use pillow or cushion to raise your legs, and the edema will naturally subside.
2. Eat light. In order to alleviate pregnancy edema, pregnant mothers should not eat too salty food, should choose a light diet, maintain a low-salt diet. Avoid eating foods that are hard to digest and easy to bloat, such as sweet potatoes, onions, etc. choose high quality protein and enhance metabolism of food, such as meat, eggs, fish, milk, eat soy products and dairy products.
3. Avoid standing long. It is not advisable to walk too much or stand too long. When sitting for a long time, remember to stand up and move.
4. Attention to lying posture. Late pregnancy mother’s sleeping position is best to choose the left side position, which can slow down edema. In sleep, the footpad can be raised by about 15 degrees, which is helpful to improve the blood circulation of lower limbs and help to alleviate edema.
5. Massage is soothing. If you feel that edema causes discomfort in your legs, you can call your expectant father to massage your legs every night before going to bed.
In most cases, the edema in the third trimester of pregnancy can be relieved after rest. However, pregnant mothers should also pay attention to, if after trying a variety of methods, the edema still does not improve, and the weight increases rapidly, when symptoms such as hypertension, proteinuria and so on need to be checked in time, in order to avoid suffering from pregnancy poisoning and delaying the condition.